v002 Model Loader in Mavericks 10.9

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Support v002 Model Loader in Mavericks 10.9

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gabrielrey
    Participant

This plugin has worked great for me so far, under 10.7.

Has anyone done any testing with Mavericks (10.9)? I just got a new MacBook Pro (faster than than old one, which had 10.7 on it). The patch I’ve been using (which makes extensive use of the model importer) has slowed way down — I was getting frame rates of 60fps and up on the old computer, and now they’re down around 8-10fps. The models are .dae files. I guess it could also be Quartz itself. I’m not using any other plugins. Are there any plans for updates to this or other plugins to work better under 10.9?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by gabrielrey.
    gabrielrey
    Participant

I did a bit more messing around with this.

I got gfxCardStatus to see which GPU was being used. The discrete GPU (the NVIDIA) was being used. So I quit Quartz and set gfxCardStatus to make the computer use only the integrated GPU (Intel Iris). That almost doubled my frame rate (to 15fps). If I could double it again, that’d be fast enough for my purposes.

So it seems like maybe it’s something about the NVIDIA GPU that isn’t dealing with this well.

gabrielrey
    Participant

The composition I’m working with has 13 different models, all of about the same complexity (pretty complex). I tried reducing the complexity (the amount of polygons) of one of the models, to see if it would help with performance. I expected that I would have to do it with all the models to see a significant improvement. Strangely, the frame rate shot way up after I did this with just one of the models. I cut down its complexity significantly (so it’s 1/8 the complexity and file size it used to be) It’s at about 40fps on the Intel Iris now, 30fps on NVIDIA. This is good enough for my purposes now.

vade
    Keymaster

Hi –

Thanks so much for the feedback. I’m actually about to upgrade to Mavericks tonight, and can take a peek at this later. It may be some subtle bugs or optimizations that cause a problem (its happened before), or an error that 10.9’s GL drivers catch that earlier versions haven’t (also happened before)

Sit tight, and thanks so much for the report. I have an NV GPU and will hopefully be able to see the issue as well, and even more hopefully, debug it!

Thanks. Ill do a full test of v002 plugins under 10.9 and see whats what.

vade
    Keymaster

So, i see the issue, and I’ve identified the problem, but unfortunately I think its a bug in OpenGL on Nvidia on 10.9.

Im going to query the developer list, and see what if anything I find.

Thanks for the report.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.