ofxSyphonServer texture is not properly backed. Cannot draw.

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User ofxSyphonServer texture is not properly backed. Cannot draw.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    anosillus.the.2nd
    Participant

Hi,

I am having an issue recording using ofxSyphon from openFrameworks 11. Here are my project settings in Main:

ofGLFWWindowSettings settings;
    settings.setSize(1920, 1080);
    settings.setGLVersion(2, 1);
    ofCreateWindow(settings);

Syphon records, but the video quality is poor.

The frame rate of the sketch and Syphon’s recording preferences are 60.
    I receive these error messages in the console:

2020-05-15 19:40:06.062577+0100 tenorPaperImagesDebug[13288:868472] SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22 cs_flags=20, pid=13288
    ofxSyphonServer texture is not properly backed. Cannot draw. …

What could be causing this?

bangnoise
    Keymaster

We’d have to see your drawing code to have any idea what’s going on.

anosillus.the.2nd
    Participant

I managed to create videos by either using the Syphon client or the window capture in OBS. From my experience creating videos last week, Syphon fails to convert recordings to .mov when I use openGL settings (2, 1), but does convert videos when i use openGL settings (3, 2). The problem is that the upgrade to openGL 3 breaks my code where the sound visualization don’t render in the same way, which is why I needed to use openGL 2.

As far as the code, I follow the basic Syphon example in the OF addon. Although I’ve used that example, I have always questioned whether it was necessary to write to the texture if I am not using ofTexture objects in my code. I guess that is so, since if I comment out the ofTexture object, texture server, and texture publisher, my code doesn’t compile. But if I don’t use texture objects, I don’t understand what that piece of code does that makes it necessary.

Regardless of what openGL versions I use, I still receive “ofxSyphonServer texture is not properly backed.Cannot draw” in the console.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

It would be easier to help you if we could see your drawing code, or if you supplied the simplest possible example which doesn’t work as you expect it to.

In the absence of any concrete information, what follows is pure speculation –

Syphon should work happily with Core Profile or Legacy OpenGL versions.

In ofxSyphon/example-Basic, there are two Syphon servers, to illustrate the two ways of using ofxSyphonServer. One publishes a texture, the other the contents of the window. If you just want to publish the contents of your OF window, then you don’t need an ofTexture and you don’t need to use publishTexture() – in the example, you are only interested in what mainOutputSyphonServer is doing. You can ignore code unrelated to it but you should pay attention to the sequence in which things happen – that is, draw what you want the server to capture, then call publishScreen().

Hope this helps – if not, show us some code – and if you have compilation errors, tell us what the errors are.

anosillus.the.2nd
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. That’s how I understood the code, that there were two ways to use the servers, but for some reason, my code wouldn’t compile without the texture parts, so I just left both. I have used the recorder without error before I recently updated both oF (to 11) and downloaded the latest version of Syphon.

I’ll make a code example and post it.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Note I’ve recently updated the example projects for ofxSyphon – just small changes for OF 11, so you might want to do a git pull if you’re using those.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.