TB Syphon Link

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Discussion TB Syphon Link

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Just read that TB now acts as a TCP bridge between Macs. I remember seeing something Toby was working with to do with a Syphon Mac-2-Mac link last year. Any chance of seeing a TB2 mac-2-mac link in the future?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9-brings-fast-but-choppy-thunderbolt-networking/

Hopefully Apple will improve the TB link after the MacPro starts shipping.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

I (Tom, not Toby) played with networked Syphon a while back, but it isn’t fantastic over ethernet – I guess I ought to see what happens with thunderbolt – though cable length would be an issue for a lot of potential uses.

usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Thanks Tom (not Toby, sorry!).

Thinking of chaining a couple of MBPs together one for rendering the other for streaming. Then again with the HDMI out and a inexpensive BMD MiniRecorder on TB port in it’s not so hard these days with the latest model I guess.

vade
    Keymaster

Whoa, thats interesting. I did not know that was added in 10.9.

I am curious @bangnoise if we move to ZeroMQ for transport, and do the planar compression vs whole hog buffer compression… ?

We need more free time and interns.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

We need more free time and interns.

Indeed…

adrock42
    Participant

I still haven’t been able to test with thunderboltz, but it works fine with ethernet and fw800

http://hadamlenz.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/sykick-and-sycatch/

usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Yes more interns and time, that’s what Cesar probably wanted most too.

ZeroMQ looks really interesting. I came to know about it via VUO team last year. I’ve been wanting to do a live presentation via web thing that caches the slide images locally then advances thru them via web messages. Hardly needs ZeroMQ low-latency approach but I thought why not. Anyone interested in working on a proof of concept with me?

will have a look at sykick-sycatch when I get a 2nd modern Mac sounds neat. FW would be fine for me although I already bring two cameras in that way (but have 3 ports thanks to the 17″ MBP’s PCcard slot which hosts a two port FW800 card).

adrock42
    Participant

itll work over cat5e and im still waiting on someone with a thunderbolt cable and port to help me test that too

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.