Syphon / VDMX Window Input Framerate

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Syphon / VDMX Window Input Framerate

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    doctorhandshake
    Participant

Yello!

Sorry if this has been covered to death before (or if I should be asking on the Vidvox forums) but I’m, for the first time, trying to capture a window through VDMX and pump it back out to Syphon Client.

It seems like the frame rate I’m getting in this pipeline is directly proportional to the resolution of the window I’m capturing, which makes me think this is happening on the CPU, which, of course, sounds wrong.

Simply a test – nothing special about the source material or the playback system (late-model MBP – core i7 2.5GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB)…

Starting from the Syphon Player template, Simple Client is getting 30FPS. All good.

If I switch to a source that is big (Chrome tab on Retina display, maximized window, so like 2802×1756), I’m getting 8-12FPS. If I shrink that window down to like 1600×900, I get 30FPS.

I’m doing this by enabling Window Video Inputs in VDMX, picking the relevant tab from Chrome, and selecting it for the the source in the media bin. In the Inspector I’m disabling ‘Limit Size’, and in the Syphon Output plugin I’ve instantiated, I’m selecting only the Chrome tab for output.

Any idea what gives? I’m assuming I’m doing something wrong but I don’t have any Syphon / VDMX experience to tell me where to start looking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

N

Top says VDMX is pulling 70% of a processor core doing this.

doctorhandshake
    Participant

Ugh sorry for putting this under developer — I’m gonna leave it so I don’t x-post.

What a noob

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Not knowing how VDMX does its window capture, it’s difficult to speculate. I’d ask the Vidvox guys – they’re usually super-fast at responding to queries.

doctorhandshake
    Participant

Ah! So was I mistaken in thinking that the window capture in VDMX is using Syphon?

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Syphon isn’t involved in the capture, no. If you are sending the capture out via Syphon, then obviously you are using Syphon. File a bug report from within VDMX and you should get a reply.

doctorhandshake
    Participant

Thank you sir! Will do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.