Syphon Server output only shows one solid color

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Support Syphon Server output only shows one solid color

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jdykhouse
    Participant

Does the Syphon Server patch dislike iterators? When I put it at the top level of my scene and tell it to render ‘OpenGL Scene’, it shows me a solid color. In fact, it’s the current color in an iterator patch. See attached screenshots.

This scene is based on an original by George Toledo, and I see the exact same issue when adding a Syphon server to his original scene. However, if I open one of my own originals, I can add a Syphon server just fine.

Deleting the Server patch after this happens doesn’t fix the issue; the QC patch has to be closed and reverted to an earlier save.

The Syphon Client Patch works just fine to get video INTO the QC patch.

I do have a workaround (putting everything into a Render in Image), but I’d never seen this issue before and wanted to report it in case it sheds light on something.

QC 4.6
    iMac 27″, late 2009
    OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)
    Syphon Plugin: Public Beta 2 (modified June 26, 2011 8:07 PM))
    The Syphon Server is the highest-numbered node in the highest level of my patch.

The patch, before adding Syphon Server

The patch, after adding Syphon server

Putting the patch into a Render in Image node does work.

vade
    Keymaster

Using a simple QTZ it appears iterator works fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/maipta6p3dlelwz/IteratorTest.qtz

Can you please make a simple composition that demo’s the issue?

Can you also please make sure you use the latest Syphon Quartz Composer PlugIn?

jdykhouse
    Participant

I confirm I am using the latest available plugin.

Here is a comp demonstrating the issue (at least it does for me).

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3953639/jcd_gen_Anemonae.qtz

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by jdykhouse.
    vade
    Keymaster

That composition works here. Perhaps I’m using a slightly newer build, or you have more than one plugin installed? Can remove anything other than stock plugins and the Syphon plugin?

Can you ensure you only have one installed?

vade
    Keymaster

Also you should use an integrator rather than Patch Time + multiplier for speed, you won’t get jumps and discontinuities.

jdykhouse
    Participant

I’m trying replicate in a super-simple patch but she keeps crashing before I even get to the part where I add a Syphon Server. It’s making me think it’s got to be a problem on my machine.

I appreciate the note. Do you mean I should have an integrator inside the iterator or you mean one outside, feeding an integrated value into it?

I should add that this is an adaptation of a George Toledo patch; I would hate to look like I’m taking credit for someone else’s work.

vade
    Keymaster

Hrm, weird. Let me send you my Syphon Plugin. Theres a chance I might be using an unreleased version? Maybe? Hrm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twg3j5gs13f1eud/Syphon.plugin.zip

As for patch time, just replace it with an integrator, and use your ‘speed’ as the ‘value’ for the increase / decrease of speed. No need to put it in the iterator.

Did you remove other patches like Kineme patches, etc in debugging this?

vade
    Keymaster

BTW, if its crashing before dropping Syphon in, its um, clearly not a Syphon problem 🙂

jdykhouse
    Participant

Clearly!

There’s no Kineme’s or other non-stock patches in there, besides this one called /threshold (ci). That I don’t recognize. It behaves like an image threshold filter on the ‘random’ image to turn it into discrete spots. I assume it’s something Toledo put in there, but I’m not sure how or what it is.

/threshold (ci) patch

Using the newer Syphon.plugin you provided didn’t change anything.

vade
    Keymaster

I don’t mean in the composition. I mean installed as plugins in / on your system.

jdykhouse
    Participant

I didn’t do that. I’ll try that next.

Thing is, there’s something screwy on my machine that’s making QC crash a lot, so I don’t think this is the best environment to get a reproducible issue. Plus, I do have a workaround so this is not at all critical.

Thanks a ton for your time Vade, and if I can get this functioning more reliably (or even failing more reliably), I’ll get back on here with more info.

vade
    Keymaster

Seriously.

Uninstall.

All.

3rd.

Party.

Plugins.

Then test with just the Syphon plugin.

If that works, a 3rd party plugin, Kineme, another v002, someone else’s, is causing an issue.

jdykhouse
    Participant

That works.

It must be one of the others. I’ll start adding them back in one at a time and testing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.