syphon recorder

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User syphon recorder

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    hcgilje
    Participant

Hi,
    great to see the first version of the syphon recorder!

I did some simple tests with a jitter syphon server sending out a 640×480 quicktime movie with numbered frames to check for frame drops and duplications. I unfortunately got quite a few framedrops and duplications, so I wonder if there are any specific tricks with the syphon recorder settings to improve this. I tried a few different codecs and resolutions, but the frame drops seemed to happen anyway. And the server is just playing back the 640×480 movie, so very little gpu/cpu activity.

I did these tests on a 2009 macbookpro, nvidia geforce 9600M GT

Are you going to support more recording codecs, like apple prores LT?

Looking forward to see how this develops.

hc

hcgilje
    Participant

Ok, one obvious thing I had left out in my test server was to set the unique parameter to 1, that improved the results. I am hoping to do some tests with a much more complex setup the next few days.
    I am wondering if you would consider a possibillity for osc or similar control of the snapshot feature, this would allow for the possibillity of doing non-realtime recording at full quality and no dropped frames.

hc

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Hi, and thanks for the feedback

“non-realtime recording at full quality and no dropped frames” is not what Syphon Recorder is about. If that’s your aim, I’d flat-out suggest you try other methods.

This is a first beta, so forgive us if performance isn’t quite perfect yet…

In brief:
    Jitter is a poor choice for movie playback – make a jitter patch that generates an image with a frame number in it, so you can be certain you’re serving one unique number per frame.

Select “Syphon Recorder Help” from the Help menu: there is some advice on compressors. The short answer is, unless you need transparency, use AIC.

Any other disk activity will impair performance: quit applications you’re not using, turn off Time Machine.

The ProRes codecs seem to perform (very!) well, so yes, we probably will support them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers, and let us know how you get on – Tom

sandroid
    Participant

where could I find the syphon recorder?
    I noticed that the version available for download in the syphon page is the beta 1. Is that correct? If so, where could I find the beta 2? Or the latest version is available as source code only?

bangnoise
    Keymaster

where could I find the syphon recorder?

http://bit.ly/h1cLS5

sandroid
    Participant

thanx a lot

hcgilje
    Participant

@Tom,
    as I wrote in my initial post, I did make a movie with numbered frames to check for drops and duplicate frames.

I know that non-realtime is not the focus of the recorder, but it would still be a reasonable alternative to compile a movie from a series of stills if I want every frame to be captured at full res. Anyway, I should be able to script this if I need to.
    As long as jitter still isnt