Syphon Arkaos VJ 1.6 and Frame Rate

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Syphon Arkaos VJ 1.6 and Frame Rate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Augstein
    Participant

Just got the Recorder going with Arkaos VJ 1.6
    Tried all settings in the Recorder Preferences.
    Maximum Frame Rate, 30, etc. etc.
    Tried them all in an attempt to get 30 frames per second.
    Every Quick Time video it recorded was, whether in Lossless, Apple Codec, etc. etc. came at max to be 13 FPS. !!!
    Is it possible to get full 30 FPS recording with Syphon and Arkaos 1.6????
    Thanks

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Lynn

Writing in all capitals and red in an email is a pretty good way to piss anyone off. Sending an email that’s a duplicate of a forum post the recipient is going to answer anyway is also a pretty good way. We do this stuff for you for free, so be kind please.

From your all-caps email it’s hard to guess what the slowdown is. As I mentioned, I can capture HD frames at 30 fps from GrandVJ, even on a 2006 iMac.

The most likely cause is the disk not being able to keep up. This is quite likely if you are playing from and recording to the same disk. One thing to try would be recording to an external disk connected by FireWire (not USB).

Try a setup where the resolution is something reasonably small right through (the resolution in GrandVJ and Syphon Recorder, and the resolution of the clip you are triggering) – say 640×480 – and see what framerate you can achieve. If that works then try incrementally bigger frame sizes until you discover the limit.

Lynn Augstein
    Participant

Tom:

Here are responses and further notes on problems.

What graphics card(s) you have installed, and how many screens are connected, and which screen(s) you are running GrandVJ on.GFORCE 8600 MGT
    What disks are in or connected to your Mac (hard disks or SSDs) ONE SEAGATE DISK
    What version of MacOS you are using 10.6.8
    What resolution your output in GrandVJ is: 1280X720 AND HAVE TRIED OTHERS….”MAXIMUM RATE” …LITERALLY EVER;Y ONE.
    What resolution you are trying to record in Syphon Recorder TRIED THEM ALL, UNCOMPRESSED, APPLE CODEC, ETC. ETC.
    What you are doing in GrandVJ – how many layers you have, what’s on them (movies, generated clips, etc) TRIED WITH ONE CLIP RUNNING ONLY….NO MIXING, NO EFFECTS.

More comments from LYNN:

WE GOT ONLY THE 12-13 30 IPS….NO MATTER EVEN IF WE DID 800X600 SIZE….OR HD SIZES. WE NEED THIS FOR HD IF POSSIBLE….
    EVERY TIME I MADE A QUICKTIME VIDEO IT SHOWED UP IN THE “INFO” OF THE MOVIE THAT IT WAS ONLY 12-13 AT MAX, FPS. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NEXT OR TO TRY.
    I FIGURE IT WAS SOME SORT OF BUG THAT SINCE IT’S BETA….BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE TO TRY.
    WE HAVE A QUAD 4 MAC INTEL AS WELL, RUNNING ARKAOS, 10.6.8. AND A BETTER (?) VIDEO CARD…HAVENT TRIED ON THAT MACHINE. BUT WILL AND LET YOU KNOW IF ANY DIFFERENT.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR RESPONDING. !!!
    WITH APPRECIATION.

Lynn Augstein
    Participant

Sorry for the caps…and the RED. Didn’t know that….it was upsetting….arrgh…
    Thanks for the reply. Sent this before seeing your reply.
    Will try the drive/disc thing. Makes sense, though.
    appreciate your timely response!
    This is a great application and much needed!
    Lynn.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

you’ve got a shitty graphics card and a single, slow hard drive. don’t capture to the same drive as the operating system. use a SSD drive or other fast drive across a fast bus- esata, firewire 800, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.