Multiple Syphon streams from VDMX to Unity 3D?

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Multiple Syphon streams from VDMX to Unity 3D?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Draedus
    Participant

Does anyone know if it’s possible to send multiple Syphon streams over to Unity 3D from VDMX?

I would love to have 2 or more Syphon outputs going from VDMX (layer 1, layer 2, etc) and into Unity 3D.
    In Unity 3D, I’d like to be able to assign VDMX layer 1 to one set of objects, VDMX layer 2 to another set of objects, etc…

Anyone know if this is possible?

I’ve got the 1 Syphon stream working brilliantly between VDMX and Unity 3D ande I was just wondering if it’s possible to scale up the amount of Syphon outputs and inputs.

Thanks!

vade
    Keymaster

So, right now, the Unity Syphon client plugin simply returns the first server found. We have to add some logic to tell it which server to use. Basically, this means bridging the C# to Objective-C String objects to that the internal search mechanism can find the specified server.

We’ve not gone there yet because we’ve been busy bootstrapping the other implementations, and working on other bugs. If you want to lend a hand and attempt that code, that would be great!

Draedus
    Participant

I would love to be able to attempt that code but unfortunately I’m not really code savvy. I’m learning basic coding for things like Unity, Processing etc,… but I’m not sure I’d know where to start to bridge the C# to Objective-C String objects…

The fact that Syphon makes it possible to send a stream of visuals from VDMX into Unity is amazing and gives me enough creative options to do some very interesting things as is. For that alone I am donating some $ to this project.

Thanks for the answer and for all the hard work. Good luck in all future developments!

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

yeah, I’ve done this already and really need to work on adding it to the public release sometime, but I’m in crunch mode for a project and don’t have time at the mo to refactor it for this. arg. It’ll get done soon(ish).

gregab
    Participant

Hey, it’s almost two years later and I’m trying to do this exact same thing. Did this feature ever make it into the public release of the Unity Syphon client?

Thanks!

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

Yes, this has been implemented for ages.

gregab
    Participant

Got it working! The key (via Brian on twitter) was too apply different materials to each object I wanted to receive a different source. I used syphonSupportedShader and syphonSupportedShader1, which ship with the Syphon Unity integration. Once I’d added each of those to my two GameObjects, I could render the different sources.

defbanana
    Participant

Hi gregab,

I have a copy of your sorting puzzle unity package. I’m trying to figure out how you did this without much background in unity. Can you tell me where in the hierarchy syphonSupportedShader is located? Thanks

defbanana
    Participant

Ok, I managed to use syphonSupportedShader and syphonSupportedShader1 by replacing the default material on the 2 different planes. On the preview, the game will stream two video sources.

However, when I try to make a build off of the work done so far, the video works for a few frames, then freezes.

Unity did not freeze. I have a FPS counter that chugs along… its like the material is frozen.

Also, when I tab over to a different program… then tab back, the video feed updates for a few frames then freezes again.

Any idea of what could be going wrong?

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

do you have build settings / player settings / resolution & presentation / “run in background” enabled?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.