Manual UVC exposure webcam control – Help with combining this code

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Development – Developer Manual UVC exposure webcam control – Help with combining this code

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mrmaarten
    Participant

Hi all!

now and again I run into the need to use USB webcams and to fix their exposure settings so they stay reliable in installation situations.

On the internet I ran into a Xcode project that does exactly that: grabs a USB device and it lets you set the exposure etc manually.

here is the link:
    http://www.phoboslab.org/log/2009/07/uvc-camera-control-for-mac-os-x
    code:
    http://www.phoboslab.org/files/misc/camera-control.zip

Now I want to send this image via a syphon server to a syphon client. Pretty straightforward I suppose, but my xcode skills aren’t there yet….

Could somebody help me/ do it? I think it would be of great help for the community to have such an app as a standard tool.

Thanks in advance for thinking along,

Maarten

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Add a QTCaptureDecompressedVideoOutput as a connection to the QTCaptureSession, and create an OpenGL texture from the frames you receive from that using the Apple extensions for fast texture backing (or if you’re lucky you might receive CVTextureBuffers already). Feed that texture to a SyphonServer as per the Syphon documentation and sample code.

mrmaarten
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Bangnoise, but I personally don’t have any idea how to do that (I only have experience in Jitter)… would you like to give it a try, so we can post the result here?

I think it would make a great tool for all kinds of uses where manual exposure of a webcam is really important. This way the result can be send to any programma being able to receive syphon…

thanks,
    Maarten

bangnoise
    Keymaster

I’m too busy but maybe someone else will bite…

vade
    Keymaster

So make it in jitter. Im 95% sure you can use the same controls on web cams for adjustments.

mrmaarten
    Participant

Hi Vade,

yeah I was thinking the same, but I could figure out how to make it work. Also I thought this way it is of benefit to a lot more people, as this would be a general purpose app that takes a webcam image, let you set the manual controls, and then send it to any app on your mac.

Wouldn’t you agree?

vade
    Keymaster

Keep trying.

mrmaarten
    Participant

Well Vade if you are so sure that it feasable in Jitter, I am willing to try again and post my results in the forum there.

In the meantime I do think it would make a great general tool, like the recorder app. I would like to make it myself, but I just don’t have the time now to learn xcode and objective c…

Maybe in the future, maybe someone else finds it useful… We’ll see

Thanks for the help thus far

M

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.