Increase maximum file size for recording?

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Increase maximum file size for recording?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    katnor
    Participant

hi
    I love Syphon – thanks so much for an invaluable app. I’m using it to recording visual and audio output from Processing and puredata (running together via OSC).

No problems with recording except that at anything over 4.29GB it stops recording with error message about max file size – is there any means of increasing that limit? I need at least double. It appears unrelated to resolution/settings chosen in Syphon or any performance issues.

Thanks,
    Katharine

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Hi

Presumably you are talking about Syphon Recorder..? File size shouldn’t be a limitation.

Can you

1. Make sure you’re using the latest version from http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/

2. Post a picture of your Preferences window so I can recreate the settings you’re using

3. Post a picture or the exact text of the error message you get

Thanks

katnor
    Participant

Hi – thanks for replying. Yes, Syphon Recorder.

1. I’m using the latest version: Syphon Recorder v 13 + in Processing, imported library codeanticode.syphon (beginning to wonder if this is the problem now …)

2. screenshots here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IgPtPsC02k4QpD3SRiZwK227wKvGmVbUbyBRFqQMIy4/edit The preferences settings are just an example – it occurs at c. 4.3 GB into any setting that generates a file that exceeds that size (e.g. have tried larger window size, uncompressed, AAC …) ‘The operation couldn’t be completed. File too large’ (Syphon Recorder pop up.

Works fine with any setting where the file generated is < 4.3GB in total.
    Have tried writing to internal and external HD.

thanks

bangnoise
    Keymaster

I suspect you’re recording to a MS-DOS (FAT) formatted disk. This archaic format has a 4GB file size limit. Try recording to an HFS+ (MacOS Extended) formatted disk.

katnor
    Participant

thank you, so much – yes, that’s it. Still at the bottom of this learning curve … glad it is something I can solve.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Great – glad we identified the problem. I’ll think about making the error message more informative.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.