google chrome to syphon

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Development – Developer google chrome to syphon

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    gut4

Is it possible to send frames from google chrome thru syphon protocol on mac os?

vade
    Keymaster

Not currently, however, you can do something that gets you close:

Combine the Syphon QC Plugin with the CoGeWebKit plugin, which allows you to get images out of a WebKit instance, browse like normal, but manipulate the frames in Quartz Composer. You’d take the image out, to a Syphon Server’s image input port.

Alternatively, if you use VDMX, you can use a Web based media browser item and run the web in there, and use VDMX’s Syphon out.

Do you need Chrome specifically?

gtoledo3
    Participant

If you need to use the Google Chrome engine, you can try using Syphon with the ofxBerkelium addon, which is powered by the Chrome engine.

felixturner
    Participant

Chrome into Syphon would be very useful for integrating WebGL sketches (e.g. three.js). The VDMX browser does not handle WebGL.

you can try using Syphon with the ofxBerkelium addon

Has anyone verified this works? Not sure how I would go about doing this.

Thanks!

sigmasix
    Participant

not thatI want to advertise my app here, but Syphoner can be helpful to you:

http://syphoner.sigma6.ch

felixturner
    Participant

I tried Syphoner with Chrome/WebGL but was not that impressed with the frame rates.

Also IMO its a bit weird that you are charging for an extension to a free, open-source project.

Udart
    Participant

I’ve been researching a bit as well – I think it’s so fascinating if webGL could be a part of my live visuals setup.
    So far I’ve found CEF – Chrome embedded framework.

http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

I am thinking it should be possible to add Syphon using the ‘cef client sample application’ which is included in the download.

Someone also created a ‘minimal’ example – that might be even better as a starting point.

https://github.com/aphistic/cef3barebones

Basically I would be satisfied if it’s possible to call an url in one window and have the contents of that window automatically be a syphon source. No need for multiple tabs or any other features of web browsers as I see it.

Problem is I am less than fluent in Xcode. But perhaps someone sees this post and feels compelled to explore?

Udart
    Participant

I suppose another approach would be to develop a Syphon plugin for Chrome. But whether it is even possible to call Syphon in that context I don’t know. I suppose I could try and ask some people in their forum.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

felixturner: agreed. A bit weird is putting it mildly. It’s kind of bullshit, honestly. The best thing we can hope to do is make free versions of similar featureset apps that outperform other peoples’ cash grab efforts. The whole reason Syphon is free is because _it has to be_ for it to catch on. So when I see things like sigmasix’s app, I’m a bit disappointed because it is fragmenting the free/sharing/open ecosystem. How much money do you think he’s really making off it? Probably a couple hundred bucks, max. Is that worth it for a niche product/app? Especially when, in response to your comment about its framerates, an open source version of it would be able to be vetted by the community and improved upon.

randall
    Participant

I’m actively working on this now. I’ll be building a two part app… one is a chrome extension to send video out via the new Tab Capture api. Then, I’ll have a receiver app which can send the output to Syphon, Blackmagic cards, or Tricaster.

The first proof of concept will work with Syphon exclusively, because Vade and company have done such a great job making it simple to publish frames / read frames from Syphon.

Anyone who’d like to beta test can email:

beta-chrome-syphon[a-t]vidpresso.com

Oh also, license is either MIT or GPL. (Probably MIT)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by randall. Reason: avoid spam
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by randall.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by randall. Reason: avoid spam
    vade
    Keymaster

Thats super interesting. Does Tab Capture work with Web GL ?

randall
    Participant

I’m 99% sure it does. I have a chromestick so I could test it tomorrow and let you know.

It’s not going to be as fast as keeping it all GPU bound, but I’m not too worried. There might be some consistent lag, but I estimate it’ll be a few frames at most. (Early hopeful assumption)

Udart
    Participant

Randall, this is great news. I will enlist myself to beta test immediately 🙂

randall
    Participant

I can verify that WebGL is captured via the tab capture output. I’m trying to nail down the framerate / quality stuff before I go too much further. For me it’s full framerate or nothing.

Udart
    Participant

Hey Randall, I am curious to hear what your tests have revealed. Did you get a good framerate?

randall
    Participant

It’s difficult to get the actual image data out. Not impossible, but difficult enough that it’s taking me longer since i can’t work on it 24/7.

If I knew more about webrtc, I think I could do a better job of dealing with it. Right now, I’m previewing the capture in a video element, then writing that to a canvas, from which I grab the pixel data. It’s kind of sucky, and each frame is uncompressed at 8mb. When I send that over a websocket, v8 just chokes and node dies with some sort of segfault. I’m going to move to an objective-c socket server in the near future, which would be better to get it into openGL / Syphon faster anyway.

Working on it, just slowly.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.