Dual IR & RGB Kinect Read

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Support Dual IR & RGB Kinect Read

Tagged: , , , , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Casey_Scalf
    Participant

Hello,

I am looking to grab both the RGB and IR feed from a Kinect simultaneously. I’d like to get the RGB feed for one process and use the Infrared on another.

I tried using two instances of the v002 Kinect patch in QC but only one would work.

Does anyone know if this is a possibility without having to purchase 2 Kinects?

Thanks for any tips or hints,

Casey

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Use a single instance of the Kinect patch and Syphon to share the feeds between your applications – http://syphon.v002.info

Casey_Scalf
    Participant

Hey Bangnoise, thanks for the quick reply.

I can imagine how you could share two feeds using Syphon and combine in another app, but I am having trouble pulling the RGB AND IR at the same time. In the v002 patch you have to select the image format: either “color” or “Infrared”. To select the different options it seems like you have to use two patches, one set to “Infrared” the other set to “Color” and then combine.

I tried making two comps, each with a single instance set to “color” and “infrared” respectively, but still the “color” comp was the only one to load. I feel like this is close and you know what I am trying to grasp.

To be sure, I am looking for the “clean IR” not the depth map.

Could you please help me understand what you meant and how to accomplish this?

Thanks you,

Casey

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Ah sorry, my advice wasn’t useful. I haven’t used the plugin myself for a while – I can’t remember if that limitation is due to the Kinect or how the plugin is designed.

Casey_Scalf
    Participant

It’s all good.

I will look up some info and see what I can find on the topic.

vade
    Keymaster

As far as I am aware, you cannot configure the Kinect to stream both formats, the USB 2 pipe does not have enough bandwidth for both Depth and RGB + IR. I could be wrong, but I think thats the case, its a ‘choose one’ and the hardware is configured to provide only one, not both, unless there is a lower resolution mode I am unaware of.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.