February 6, 2013 at 9:10 am #18019
i’m planning to buy a blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt and a MacMini 2011 (with graphic card) for an event.
For the moment, I’m already making tests with Quartz Composer, a MXO2 mini and Syphon Recorder.
I’m very excited with what your soft promises.
But, I’m encountering one problem with the MXO2 and I’m wondering if it’s related to this box itself or to my setup. And if the BlackMagic will cause me the same problem
I’ve created a very simple comp in QC : Video Input > Syphon Server.
When I’m capturing via the FaceTime HD webcam all is fine, but when I’m capturing via MXO2 a video signal of a XDCAM Sony camera via HDMI, all I got is a frozen frame but a correct sound.
I tried to change resolutions, try several codecs (Prores LT, Photo JPEG, Apple AIC), set the frame rate at max, 60… Nothing helped me
Still got 0,09 FPS files…
Any ideas ?
AlainFebruary 7, 2013 at 2:00 am #18055
sorry but I’ve got an extra question :
In the workflow I described earlier, is the graphic card performance critical ?
In other words : is a MacMini 2012 with the Intel HD 4000 strong enough to manage the recording of a single HD video stream ?
No videoprojection, just the recording.
Thanks for your answers
AlainFebruary 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm #18101
Hi – can I just check I understand your problem?
In QC you have Video Input (Apple’s Video Input patch) -> Syphon Server
In the recorded output you only get one frame
- Do you see moving video or a frozen frame in the preview in Syphon Recorder (View > Show Preview if it is hidden)?
- I take it the Syphon Server is in Image mode, not Scene? What happens if you try Scene and connect the Video Input to a Billboard patch?February 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm #18102
On this Macbook Air with Intel HD 4000 I can record AIC 1080 HD at 60 FPS, so yes, I think a MacMini would be up to the task.February 12, 2013 at 6:33 am #18318
sorry I couldn’t reply until today.
1) In the preview window of Syphon Recorder, I see the stream without dropped frames.
2) I think I checked correctly what you suggested : “open GL scene” set as source in the Syphon Server settings panel and I see nothing on the billboard.
The same setting on “image” = the hdmi stream is seen on the billboard and on the Syphon Recorder Preview window
3) Still no moving “movie” whatever codec or size choices. The duration is correct, the sound is good, but frozen frame…
5) last thing about the MacMini. Ok for the Intel HD 4000, is the Core i5 and 4 Gb RAM strong enough to manage one Prores HD video stream ?
AlainFebruary 12, 2013 at 8:26 am #18319
For what it’s worth, as of yesterday there is a new version of Syphon Recorder. None of the Syphon capture stage has changed, so I doubt it will fix your problem.
1. okay – something strange is definitely happening.
2. If you see nothing on the Billboard in QC then you’re not doing it right. The Billboard needs to be layered below the Syphon Server. The output of the Video Input patch should be connected to the Billboard’s Image input (and not to the Syphon Server). Once you can see the image in the QC viewer it should also show up in Syphon Recorder (with the dimensions of the QC viewer window). Try recording that.
5. I would guess yes but it would really be worth trying it if you can get your hands on one before you buy.February 15, 2013 at 9:17 am #18550
I tried another videocamera, another HDMI cable, finally I upgraded to beta 10 without improvement… Still frozen frame.
2) I succeed with the settings with the Billboard and the “open GL scene”, and could see the video stream both in Syphon preview window and QC viewer; BUT still got a frozen image with sound when recording…
So, at this time, it was only preliminary testings, right now I’m working on the narrative side of this project. When it will be time to work on the computer side, I’ll probably come back here and ask for help.
So, thanks again, for your help and your work,
AlainFebruary 15, 2013 at 10:14 am #18551
Could you check you can record another Syphon server without problems? It sounds like it isn’t limited to your video source if it still happens when capturing the OpenGL scene.
Also try not recording sound, to see if the problem persists. I’d like to solve this if possible.
Can you tell me what Mac OS version and Mac you’re currently using? A screenshot of the Preferences window in Syphon Recorder would also be a help.
CheersFebruary 18, 2013 at 3:13 am #18641
That’s it ! Audio…
When I didn’t record audio, the video is ok : no frames lost.
When the audio source is built in microphone = ok but audio and video are not in sync
When the audio source is MXO2 mini HDMI Audio IN = video is frozen.
But… I need video AND audio. Both in the same stream. In sync would be great…
Any chance to fix it ?
Or to set two streams in QC, sync them and multiplex them in one file ?
My system : Macbook Pro 17 2011. quad core i7. OS 10.7.5February 18, 2013 at 7:41 am #18642
Ah yes, other people have had problems with audio from some hardware which I am unable to reproduce.
I will look into it. If you’d be willing to help me try to track the problem down, drop me an e-mail to email@example.comFebruary 18, 2013 at 9:02 am #18643
to be continued…May 2, 2013 at 8:23 am #21634
I’m back on this work and I read that the beta 11 fixed issues with third party audio hardware.
Any chance that the problems I noticed few weeks ago are solved now ?
I plan to buy a “Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder” card. Any news about compatibilities with Syphon ?
AlainMay 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm #21635
Audio-related problems should be solved. Please let us know if they’re not.
Syphon is never interfacing directly with the capture device, so compatibility isn’t to do with Syphon – in your initial setup you were connecting them in Quartz Composer. I can’t speak for the compatibility of that device with QC – maybe someone else has experience using it.May 3, 2013 at 12:33 am #21682
Ok, I’ll try to test the card before buying it, I’ll let you know.
Thanks,May 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm #22686
Hello, I’ve just bought the BlackMagic Mini Recorder and I can tell you that both video and audio work well in Syphon Recorder.
I use it with Quartz Composer and the classic Video Input patch.
Thanks for your works and your help.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.