Camera bug in Unity Syphon plugin

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Camera bug in Unity Syphon plugin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    WeivCo
    Participant

So we’re working on Weiv, a new VJ-like software platform that is built from the ground up to use Syphon to pass our graphics data to secondary displays. As AIResearcher has said, we love it. 🙂

However, we’ve come across some kind of bug with the Unity plugin and rendering in 2 of our Unity scenes. The bug seems to be that a Syphon client (we’ve tested using the default and our own) only renders one or a couple pixels for the whole screen. The scene is still rendered because we can see color values change with the graphics.

In one of our scenes, I have isolated the problem down to one object, a plane that uses a default Transparent/Diffuse shader and an uncompressed 1024×512 texture. If the GameObject is disabled or its MeshRenderer disabled, the client renders the image just fine. The other thing that fixes the issue is if the camera rendering path is changed to VertexLit. This object is a core graphic of the whole scene, and we want to add post effects support later on, so neither of these workarounds are that usable long-term.

Here’s a package to test that should be broken by default.

http://www.godatplay.com/temp/SyphonCameraBug.unitypackage

While playing the scene, you can disable the Trees Image object or its renderer and you should see the client start rendering normally. The same for switching the camera to VertexLit.

Any ideas?

WeivCo
    Participant

I just found this: http://forums.v002.info/topic.php?id=53

That seems to confirm my issue. I’m using Transparent/Diffuse, which is bad I guess. I switched over to Transparent/VertexLit for now, which does the job. If I need something more it looks like Brian’s shaders in the repos will work.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

that bug is halfway-unsolved, but I have a temporary workaround completed I’ve yet to post as it’s a bit of a pain in the ass. Next time I update the repo it will have the fix for that up there. The bug relates to shared renderqueues between objects at the point in time it’s grabbing the FBO.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

a fix for this i believe has been uploaded to the SVN. check it out and see if it works.

larsjessen
    Participant

I have just been banging my head against the wall to get shadows working properly using point lights and the Deferred rendering path

I found a very weird work around. If I put an object in the scene with the shader Transparent/Diffuse, the other objects (with normal diffuse shaders) now cast shadows as they should. Is this in line with the bug described above – or is this a different issue?

Up until now I have been using the previous Unity Bundle, but it is the same case with the new version. Also, the new Unity Example project is broken – I get this message: “Rebuilding Library because the asset database could not be found!” when I open the project and none of the shaders are compiled properly etc. Do you know if anyone has had similar problems?

Does the fix uploaded to the SVN solve the shadow issues as well?

/lars

larsjessen
    Participant

Sorry – it was a bit late last night and apparently I wasn’t using the new version after all. The new version does solve my shadow problems 🙂

However, I still have problems with the Unity Example project.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

Please describe your remaining issues in more detail so I can pinpoint the problem. I may need to check a flag in the .unity file to turn on svn versioning so the example can work more smoothly, I dont recall if I set that

larsjessen
    Participant

When I open the project I get the message “Rebuilding Library because the asset database could not be found!”. All the references in the example scene are missing, so script references and shader references are missing. I tested it on two machines and have the same problem on both.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

k looking at fixing that, thanks for reporting it.
    brian

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

this is now fixed- download the latest revision from the SVN to properly view the demo scene. let me apologize for that- it’s totally my fault and the bug had probably existed for some time, i didn’t enable the .meta flag for SVN support.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

New download is up – Syphon for Unity Public Beta 2 r2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.