Recording Keynote possible?

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Recording Keynote possible?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Hi Please forgive my ignorance but I’ve only vaguely followed Syphon’s development — being on Leopard at home, can’t try it out.

Can someone explain to me if Syphon can record from Video to hard drive for any App or does that App require a Syphon plugin?

Thinking about Keynote app, whose native export to video… command is notorious for losing time and not syncing sound with video. So people go to the extend where they can of exporting HDMI from one Mac to a MacPro with a Black-Magic style card Video de/encode card just to get a clean video just as user would see it.

Nice forum theme, Vade congrats, all looks very High-End Pro-Gear to me!

vade
    Keymaster

Syphon has a Recording app we are beta testing. It records high quality video from any Syphon Server.

Syphon has a Screen Capture app, which is a Screen Capture program that publishes content as a client, so any Syphon Server can grab what it sees on screen, useful for applications that are not, themselves, Syphon enabled.

The Syphon Screencapture app is in SVN, so you would have to compile it yourself (pretty straightforward), and you can look at the other forum thread for the latest release of the Syphon Recorder movie recording app.

Those 2 let any Syphon app record, and let you input to Syphon from your desktop.

usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Thanks Vade. I’m being a bit lazy asking this rather than diving into the docs but, there seems to be 3 software apps you’ve mentioned:
    i Recording App (in beta)
    ii Screen Capture App (requires building in Xcode but different App to (i) )
    iii Syphon Server (does the actual writing of a file to HD in realtime from a Syphon feed via Screen Capture or OS X Application with a Syphon plugin)

Is that correct?

If so could one reasonably expect to run the Screen Capture App and the Syphon Server App on the same desktop or would you need to be still passing a digital signal from one Mac to another (all be it without any fancy Video Encoding card to cope with realtime encryption at HighDef)

Sorry to labour the point but I’m not quite down with how this whole framework interacts.

Best
    Alastair

ps. If a Keynote plugin was a possibility you could well have a discrete potential user base because Keynotes native export has a bad reputation and is a frequent source of frustration for users judging by the Keynote forums I’ve followed in the past. New version of KN shipping soon of course, so see what they come up with. Smokris once said on Kineme that Keynote has an undocumented API (skanky I guess) if that helps πŸ˜‰

vade
    Keymaster

Read the docs. Don’t be lazy. πŸ™‚

Any application that uses Syphon uses a Syphon Server, internally. That is the “object” that Syphon sends with. Anything “broadcasting” with Syphon is a “server” , anything receiving Syphon is a “Client”

Thus, the Screen Capture app is a Server.
    The Recorder is a Client.

Any app that can read from a Syphon source (ie: a Syphon “Client”) can use the Screen Capture as a source.

Any app that can publish frames to a Syphon client (ie, a “Server”) can have its output recorded via Syphon Recorder.

You will only need those 2.

vade
    Keymaster

So, for example, using the QC Syphon server plugin, you could publish from QC, and record in our recorder.

Or you could publish in Processing, and record in our recorder. Or Jitter. Or Unity. Or Open Frameworks (get the idea? πŸ™‚

Same goes the other way around. Any of those can leverage Screen Capture as a “source”.

Any new implementation adds a whole new factorial’s worth of combinations. Its going to get fun.

usefuldesign.au
    Participant

Thanks Vade you have expressed it — trιs bon.

I now get it — on a pedestrian level πŸ˜‰ Will have to make some trials. It is going to get fun I expect, what with Thunderbolt/Lightpeak hardware around the corner and all. We could potentially be linking Mac hardware to make super Mac high-end realtime broadcast quality AV mixers and ‘post’ devices.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.