Glitch plugins cause blank screen w/VDMX

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Support Glitch plugins cause blank screen w/VDMX

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    yvers
    Participant

Re-posting this from the product info page as per requested:

Like other users here, I am getting a black screen in VDMX when I apply the plugins. Followed the ReadMe to the letter, plugins show up in my Video effect panel, but all I get is a blank screen. If I drop the wet/dry parameter, the image fades in, but not trace of the effect is not applied. Same for all the Glitch effects supplied.

Im running a 17? MBP 2.8 Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard and VDMX 7.5.8

Any ideas would be much appreciated as Im quite exited about these plugins.
    Thanks
    Reply ?

bangnoise on September 30, 2011 at 4:23 am said:

Questions to the forum please http://forums.v002.info

If you can post there with answers to the following:
    Have you tried in VDMX 8?
    Is this your machine? http://support.apple.com/kb/sp24

Bangnoise:
    – I have just tried VDMXb8, with the exact same results
    – That is not my machine, I have a mid-2009 17″ MPB with 2.8 C2D

vade
    Keymaster

Open Quartz Composer editor in /Developer/Applications/Quartz Composer.app

Find the Library. Type v002 in the search field. Do you have the glitch plugins showing up?

vade
    Keymaster

Additionally, can you show us the output of Console.app if you search for Quartz or v002 in the search field?

yvers
    Participant

Hi hi! Very sorry for the delay in posting life got very busy all of a sudden. I don’t have Quartz installed and never have used it… is there any other to verify what’s going on?

Thanks a bunch.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Please try the plugins in VDMX and post everything VDMX logs in Console.app

yvers
    Participant

Hi again,

I deleted and plugins from the folder, and re-installed and now everything is working fine!

I don’t know why it fixed the problem but it did, thank you so much for all the help, much appreciated.

yb

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Great, glad it’s working

mikestjean
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m still having a big issue with the RuttEtra plugin… (maybe off topic but I expect it’s the same issue for all the plugins?)

I can see it in Composer, and I can use it and run it / observe it in the Viewer in composer, but when I try to open the file- either QuickView (space bar when file is selected in Finder), or dropping it into VDMX as a patch, nothing comes up…

I’ve run a lot of tests and I really get the impression that its’ the RuttEtra plugin being seen by QComposer but not being found or searched for by OSX proper or VDMX when it’s running the patch…

I’m assuming that I should be able to create a patch with an image and the R/Etra patch.. save that as a patch and drop it into VDMX as a stand-alone patch rendering the contained image with R/Etra effect… Shouldn’t that be possible?

Could it be that it hasn’t been written properly to a .plist or somewhere?

Lastly I read that someone ‘installed’ the new R/Etra 3.0, but all I can find is the plugin, not an ‘install’ .dmg
    I dropped it into the same Quartz Composer / Plug-ins folder mentioned above, and it shows up in QComposer, so I can use either R/E 2.0 or R/E 3.0 beta in my QComposer patches BUT I can only see the image that is running through R/E when I’m in QC- looking at it in Finder or VDMX doesn’t seem to render it (or whatever I should be calling that part of the process).

I’ve also created patches with other images and .qtz patches included, and everything renders fine in Finder and VDMX except for anything that is running through R/Etra… even though is shows up in QC

…yeah I write really redundantly.
    …yeah, I write really redundantly.

Hope to find some help 🙂 Thanks and amazing plugin !

vade
    Keymaster

Can you try and remove all other plugins, and Kineme skank plugins and see if it works then?

Anything in QC Patches, and QC Plug-Ins ? I suspect an old version of some Kineme plugin whose name I forget, which does some weird stuff.

Thanks.

mikestjean
    Participant

Unfortunately it’s still not working for me… (sorry for the delayed reply 🙂

I’ve just installed the plugins, both of them v2 and v3, in Lion, with no other plug-ins installed… the patches render properly in QC but again not in QuickView.. is there a .plist they need to be added to or something?

I just dragged the .plugin files to the QuartComposer Plugins folder this time… didn’t run an Install…

Thoughts?

mikestjean
    Participant

From Console after running a patch with plugin v002:

11-11-01 5:49:44.021 PM
    Finder: *** <QCNodeManager | namespace = “com.apple.QuartzComposer” | 401 nodes>: Failed instantiating patch with name “QCPlugInPatch:v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn”

Finder: *** Message from <QCLighting = 0x7fb036f44fb0 “(null)”>:
    Cannot create node of class “QCPlugInPatch” and identifier “v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn”

Cannot create connection from [“output” @ “Splitter_2”] to [“inputImage” @ “PlugInPatch_v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn_1”]

11-11-01 5:49:44.022 PM
    Cannot create connection from [“_protocolOutput_Image” @ “PatchRenderer_1”] to [“inputImageLuma” @ “PlugInPatch_v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn_1”]

And oddly enough, from Console after running a patch with Plugin v003:

Finder: *** <QCNodeManager | namespace = “com.apple.QuartzComposer” | 401 nodes>: Failed instantiating patch with name “QCPlugInPatch:v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn”

Finder: *** Message from <QCLighting = 0x7fb036a8bc10 “(null)”>:
    Cannot create node of class “QCPlugInPatch” and identifier “v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn”

Cannot create connection from [“output” @ “Splitter_2”] to [“inputImage” @ “PlugInPatch_v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn_1”]

Cannot create connection from [“_protocolOutput_Image” @ “PatchRenderer_1”] to [“inputImageLuma” @ “PlugInPatch_v002_Rutt_Etra_2_0PlugIn_1”]

vade
    Keymaster

You need to realize that the Beta plugin version 3, is its own new distinct plugin class.
    Open QC editor. Type v002 in the search path for the Library. With *only* the v002 Rutt Etra installed in

“/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Plug-Ins/”

And nothing else in your home folder, Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Plug-Ins/ folder?

Do you see anything?

QuickView will never show patches with 3rd party plugins installed.

mikestjean
    Participant

What is the ‘home folder’ (to be sure I don’t have things installed in the wrong places)

I will remove the v3 plugin.
    I am attempting to drop the quartz patch into Final Cut Pro 7, or whatever the release was before FCP-X.
    Quartz patches have been an awesome addition to my videos and in FCP you can just drop them into the timeline and use them like video clips, with some extra changes in terminal to adjust the default resolution and length. So it’s only in FCP and QuickView and VDMX that I am testing these patches… again, they work showing the RE plugin output in QC editor and viewer, but nowhere else..

I will delete the v3 and see if anything changes…

vade
    Keymaster

You cannot, ever, nor will you ever, be able to use 3rd party plugins in FCP by dropping QC Compositions into the timeline.

This is the same reason Quick Look does not work. If you had googled your problem you would have found out that Quicktime, Quicklook, Safari, Finder, Final Cut Pro and many other applications like Modul8 use Quicktime for playback of QC comps. Quicktime playback of QC comps uses “safe mode” and does not allow 3rd party plugins to load.

You can sort of hack around it.

If you want proper, 100% support of QC in FCP, look into purchasing FX Factory Pro from Noise Industries (disclaimer, I work for them). It lets you load QC compositions you make as native plugins in Final Cut Pro.

Please, next time

– Don’t hijack a thread for a different problem
    – Make new thread so its clear what you are doing. I thought you were trying to use these in VDMX, as the thread topic states
    – Clearly state what you are trying to do. Saying it does not work tells me nothing, and makes me think of the context of the thread you are posting/hijacking.

Im not trying to be a dick, but you really need to be more clear, more specific, and give as much information as possible. How was anyone supposed to know you were using these in FCP?

You mention the QC Comps work in the QC Editor. What is not working in VDMX? Have you properly installed the qxFX? Have you enabled the effect on a layer with media? No one else, ever, has had it not work in VDMX and not have it be an installation problem.

Did you actually attempt to follow the instructions I posted above? Or google search any terms you did not understand?

Trev
    Participant

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem as the original post and I’m pretty sure I followed the readme word for word.
    I’m using 17″ MBP 2.33 C2D Snow Leopard, VDMX b8 (also tried b7.5) I don’t use Quartz but here is the Console readout after trying your FX;

28/12/2011 15:47:04 VDMX5[584] *** <QCNodeManager | namespace = “com.apple.QuartzComposer” | 407 nodes>: Patch with name “QCPlugInPatch:v002525PlugIn” is missing
    28/12/2011 15:47:04 VDMX5[584] *** Message from <QCPatch = 0x18DF5D10 “(null)”>:
    Cannot create node of class “QCPlugInPatch” and identifier “v002525PlugIn”
    28/12/2011 15:47:04 VDMX5[584] *** Message from <QCPatch = 0x18DF5D10 “(null)”>:
    Cannot create connection from [“output” @ “Splitter_3”] to [“inputImage” @ “PlugInPatch_v002525PlugIn_1”]
    Cannot create connection from [“outputImage” @ “PlugInPatch_v002525PlugIn_1”] to [“inputImage” @ “Billboard_1”]
    28/12/2011 15:47:04 VDMX5[584] *** State restoration failed on <QCPatch = 0x18DF5D10 “(null)”>

Thanks.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Trev, you have not installed the Quartz Composer plugin. Check the instructions in the Read Me.

Trev
    Participant

Right, thanks for getting back. Having re-read it, the only thing I can see is that I might actually need to install Quartz, but someone above didn’t have it and it worked and other QC FX are working – from my limited knowledge.

Apologies if I’m being an idiot but I’ve re-checked everything and “even Googled terms”.

Thanks.

vade
    Keymaster

You have not installed the QC plugin. Please re-re-read the read me and Install the Quartz Composer Plug In in the appropriate location please.

Trev
    Participant

Ok, got it thanks.
    Partly I’m an idiot and party it’s written in an ambiguous way.

vade
    Keymaster

The disk image has an image of an arrow pointing to a sym-link to the plugin folder.

The read me says:

“Drag the plugin to your /Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer PlugIns/ folder. (or to your ~/Library/…)”

I’m not sure how that is ambiguous.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.