Error with Syphon in Jitter standalone application

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Error with Syphon in Jitter standalone application

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    pry
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m trying to build standalone apps with Syphon externals, but I get this kind of error when I try to launch the apps :

jit.gl.syphonclient: unable to load object bundle executable
    2010-12-07 12:54:38.995 essai-syphonclient[1059:207] Error loading /private/var/folders/Hi/HivzXCw6HZuZwMRC26Qoz++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient: dlopen(/private/var/folders/Hi/HivzXCw6HZuZwM
    RC26Qoz++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient, 262): Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Syphon.framework/Versions/A/Syphon
    Referenced from: /private/var/folders/Hi/HivzXCw6HZuZwMRC26Qoz++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient
    Reason: image not found

OS X 10.6.4 – MaxMSPJitter 5.1.7

did I miss something ?
    thanks

pry

hcgilje
    Participant

same here.
    I tried including the client object manually in the support folder in the standalone, but no love.

vade
    Keymaster

Open up the application bundle for the app you built, go to Contents, make a Frameworks folder and then move the Syphon.framework into there.

That may work. The issue is the Application you built is for whatever reason not finding the Syphon.framework which is needed by jit.gl.syphon___ .

Let us know.

hcgilje
    Participant

I unfortunately still get the same error.
    I put the syphon.framework I found in the jit.gl.syphonclient into the frameworks folder of my standalone.
    I believe this is more or less the same error as before:
    2010-12-07 21:37:49.239 VPT_5.0a05[18916:207] Error loading /private/var/folders/Gi/GiTf5ITdHWm++psK9TEs5++++TQ/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient: dlopen(/private/var/folders/Gi/GiTf5ITdHWm++psK9TEs5
    ++++TQ/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient, 262): Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Syphon.framework/Versions/A/Syphon
    Referenced from: /private/var/folders/Gi/GiTf5ITdHWm++psK9TEs5++++TQ/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient

vade
    Keymaster

Hrm. Seems like the Runtime is putting the jitter objects into really weird places and then trying to open them, causing path issues for the framework loader.

I may have to ping Cycling on this, to get some info on how framework loading vs Standalone paths are handled.

Thanks, sorry that did not work. Fucking Max!

vade
    Keymaster

Hi. I posted in the C74 forums dev section. Lets see if we get any info. Stay tuned.

hcgilje
    Participant

Hi,
    just to confirm that the not-very-convenient-method suggested in the dev thread works.

hc

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Thanks, good to know.

Glitchard Nixon
    Participant

heres the link to that page for people who run into this issue
    http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=29994

vade
    Keymaster

Nice. That makes me feel more sane. I wonder why copying into the Runtime worked, but not into the app *you made*?

MaxMSP I will never understand you, I will respect you from a distance and hope to not get caught up in your drama. *sigh*

hcgilje
    Participant

but it is still VERY inconvenient. If you donīt want to copy all the max and jitter externals into your app (making it quite big), you basically manually have to pick the externals you use.
    Hopefully cycling74 fixes this, at least it would make it so much easier if it was an option to exclude only one external when building the standalone app. I will put this a feature request in the max beta list.

vade
    Keymaster

Well, clearly you have to copy the externals to your app, how else is it going to find jit.gl.syphonserver etc, if you don’t include it in the build script? Unless I am missing something, this seems like a small inconvenience to application packagers to add a framework to the runtime app bundle?

hcgilje
    Participant

normally you donīt copy the externals manually, the ones which are used in your patch are included automatically when building a standalone.
    So if you donīt want to include every external included in max/msp/jitter in your application, you have to figure out which objects are being used, find their location and then copy them manually.
    So what I have asked cycling74 as a feature request is the option of being able to exclude only one external (like the jig.gl.syphon object) from the build process, and then add that manually afterwards.

hcgilje
    Participant

I ended up doing it an easier way by having the the syphon patch as a separate patch and then load it from the standalone using pcontrol, works perfectly.

hc

pry
    Participant

Thanks for your effort, but I can’t get it right (it must be my fault),
    Please, where is my mistake ?

– I copy the Syphon.framework folder I found in jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo package into the Contents/Frameworks folder of the MaxMSP Runtime package ;
    – I build my app including jit.openexr.mxo, I get this message in the max window :
    Starting Build for syphonclient5.app…
    Processing script…
    Copying External panel
    Copying External fpic
    Copying External jit.gl.syphonclient
    Copying External jit.window
    Copying External metro
    Copying External jit.gl.render
    Copying External toggle
    Copying External jit.gl.videoplane
    Copying External button
    Copying External comment
    Copying External message
    Copying External jit.fpsgui
    Copying External prepend
    Copying External umenu
    Copying External jit.pwindow.mxo
    Copying External jit.openexr.mxo
    Copying folder interfaces
    Finished script.

– I’m happy ;
    – I put the Cg.framework folder into the Contents/support folder of my app ;
    – I run my app and …
    2010-12-21 00:08:14.565 syphonclient5[437:207] Error loading /private/var/folders/7+/7+bzfNT6EtGBEZS960RX4++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient: dlopen(/private/var/folders/7+/7+bzfNT6EtGBEZS960RX
    4++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient, 262): Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Syphon.framework/Versions/A/Syphon
    Referenced from: /private/var/folders/7+/7+bzfNT6EtGBEZS960RX4++++TM/TemporaryItems/appRuntime-mxt/jit.gl.syphonclient.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.gl.syphonclient

– I check the Syphon.framework is in the package of my app – it is ;
    – I’m sad ;

Max 5.1.7 (44134) – OS 10.6.4 – MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Glitchard Nixon
    Participant

Maybe an “application builder” similar to the one that Jamoma Modular uses could be built to streamline this process?

hcgilje
    Participant

First you have to exclude all externals from the buildscript by adding this line:
    excludeexternals true.

This will disable all externals used in your patch, so after you have compiled your application you need to manually find every external used in your patch and copy them to the support folder of your standalone.

I wish there was a way to only exclude the jit.gl.syphonclient object, but that is currently not possible.

As I wrote earlier, I ended up keeping the syphon object in a separate patch that I load into the standalone, thus avoiding the job of copying all the externals.

Brian Chasalow
    Participant

dumb question, but how would you load a separate patch in a standalone? some hackery with a bpatcher?

Glitchard Nixon
    Participant

you can use the “pcontrol” object to load and control other patches

VPT 5 uses this method to load syphon into the app if you need an example

hcgilje
    Participant

My syphon patch is called syphon_mofo, so I just send a “load sypohon_mofo” message to the pcontrol object.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.