v002 3D model importer help

Home Forums v002 v002 QC Plugins Support v002 3D model importer help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sudwesfunk
    Participant

I’m going to apologize for my noobness, but I am completely new to Quartz Composer. I downloaded this model importer as an alternative to Kineme3D because apparently it doesn’t work for OS 10.8. I got my 3D model imported using the v002 patch, but I have no idea how to manipulate it. I can get the wireframe to appear, but that’s it. I want to apply images/video to the model as skins, apply lighting effects, etc. Again, I’m very new to QC. I don’t even know what patches I should start with. All of the video tutorials I can find about using 3D objects in QC are based off of Kineme3D, so none of them are applicable for my workflow. Help is very much appreciated!

gtoledo3
    Participant

Kineme3D works in 10.8, but Kineme doesn’t officially support it, probably for a variety of reasons but as much related to them spending time developing VUO as anything else.

You can use the v002 patch and get different images on the model by connecting a patch that outputs image, to the input image port on the v002 model importer. In some cases, you may see some colors of the image seem to paint the model in an unfocused way – this will often occur if a model doesn’t have any “uv coordinates”. UV coordinates dictate how the texture is applied to the model; what parts of the image go where, wether parts repeat/tile, etc.

The simplest way to apply lighting effects to a model would be to use the built in QC Lighting Environment patch. This is a pretty common, basic, lighting scheme.

The only way you can really get fancier lighting or textures going, would be to put the model importing patch inside of a GLSL shader environment. However, at that point, you will be responsible for adding code in the vertex and fragment shader sections of the GLSL shader that dictate how the model is lit (vertex and fragment), how it is textured(fragment), and potentially how any deformations/warps happen(vertex shader). A glsl shader can be responsible for providing all values to create lighting, or it can potentially be placed inside of a Lighting Environment and “get” the values state of the Lighting Environment via GLSL code, to create an idealized Lighting Environment. That’s all a bit more “coder” and a bit less “designer/artist”, but there is quite a bit of info out there about shaders like that, and Apple also originally supplied many shader examples formatted for use in QC.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.