Syphon with VIZZIE in MaxMSP

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Syphon with VIZZIE in MaxMSP

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    leolodreamland
    Participant

so i think i understand the syphonserver takes input from matrix outs but VIZZIE gives video outs so it’s not generating a signal… how do i convert VIZZIE output into matrix info?syphon, vizzie, max, jitter,

Glitchard Nixon
    Participant

Vizzie does send out matrix info. if you open up the original patches for vizzie you can see that they are just bpatchers with fairly simple jitter patches inside of them. you should be able to directly connect the Vizzie “video out” to your jit.gl.syphonserver object.

NOTE: Vizzie is not optimized in jitter. If you want better performance you should be using OpenGL rendering for your videos. Vade has made posts about this before on his page.
    http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147

Also I am currently in the process of finishing up a full “VJ” style application (“Base”) completely built in Jitter which will be released open (vizzie style). It should be ready for a public beta soon (febuary?). Will include everything that vizzie has to offer and more plus it is fully optimized. think vdmx where you can build your own modules like modul8 + support for Ableton Live.

I’ll post more about that when it’s ready.

vade
    Keymaster

Did you read the Readme?

You need a GL context.

leolodreamland
    Participant

ah i see now from the 2k 4k demo video.
    sorry i’m a bit of a n00b when it comes to jitter but i’m getting there… some of the basics still pass me by. cheers vade.
    as for a vj app that’ll work with ableton, i’m all up for that… i’ll be trying out that video optimisation too.
    cheers guys!

leolodreamland
    Participant

do i need to rebuild every section of vizzie for optimisation to be passed along the chain?

vade
    Keymaster

Honestly, Vizzie is never going to be fast. If optimization is what you want, you should be researching how to effectively use jit.gl.slab, make GL contexts, and send textures around using send and receive. Vissie uses only on the CPU matrix operators, and will not be as fast as the *graphics* card for doing visual effects.

Get your head around basic GL with Jitter use @automatic 0 and learn about triggering order for drawing GL, and then use slabs / textures and even render to texture (@capture and the jit.gl.sketch workaround using forced drawing to capture whole scenes to a single texture). These techniques are more complicated and nuanced, but will give you an amazing about of flexibility that vissie simply will not ever be able to give you.

The fact that vizzie was not done in GL is actually kind of a shame, as it makes a lot of sense to have it there.

leolodreamland
    Participant

then i’ll be a programmer, and i’ll have to do math, which will turn me into a mindless philosopher… :p it’s often the way with these things, they let you do one thing but not another. tis indeed a shame.

leolodreamland
    Participant

if there are any good tutorial videos on exactly what you are suggesting it would kickstart me into having a go tho… philosophy here we come.

vade
    Keymaster

If you are using Max/MSP, you are a programmer whether you like it or not. Any of these environments require the application of logic, critical problem solving solutions along with some creative inspiration to make original and interesting work.

Being a programmer is like having another tool in your tool-belt, better to have even a dull knife than not have one at all. If you don’t want to be a programmer at all, I suggest not using Max.

Seriously. Use something else (and if Programing turns you off, don’t work in the new Media Scene, or get a grant so you can have someone do the work for you).

Patching environments (Max, Quartz, PD, VVVV, etc) are still programming environments and you will, for better or worse be forced to learn the ins and out of the system, the caveats and assumptions the environment has, and the best, most agile ways of using it regardless of what environment you choose to work in. Its part of learning how the tool works and how to get it to do what *you* want it to.

Check out Andrew Bensons “Jitter Recipes” on the C74 page, they are well written overviews of the though process and patching process, and Andrew is a great Jitter programmer, and makes nice work, so the patches are approachable and understandable, as well as interesting. I also have shared some work on the forums describing how it works, but not in ‘article’ format.

leolodreamland
    Participant

You’re right. I’m not going to customise my engine without getting oil on my hands. I just find that i could spend my time more enjoyably than getting bogged down with maths, it just isn’t my bag even though i can be good at it, especially when i could be taking photos for instance or making music. that doesn’t mean i don’t like things being complex, i’m trying to get this working so i can use modul8 and ableton as a frontend for some more complex bits behind with m4l doing some cool stuff. like you say it’s a shame vizzie wasn’t sorted properly… in terms of getting stuff into a workable form if i have an important gig a the end of March say, then learning a whole new environment might not be the way for me to go, especially if i have some spoken word to work on and musical theory to be doing. not working in the new media scene sounds a bit harsh though seeing as i’m already pretty accomplished. If i had a big enough grant it’d be nice to pay a team of programmers to work on stuff for me but then i guess that’d be missing the point of trying to get a customised interface. I’m sure i just need to kick my own arse a bit!

vade
    Keymaster

Don’t get me wrong, these sorts of situations are definitely a ‘trap’, and I find myself spending more time making “tools” than actual art, but for whatever reason I still find it satisfying, so I continue to do it. Maybe one drive has taken over the other.

That was not meant to be harsh, more of a kick in the ass 🙂

There is time for everything, but maybe not all at once. Good luck on your projects!

leolodreamland
    Participant

thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.