Syphon Server & OSX Lion Sandboxed Environment

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Development – Developer Syphon Server & OSX Lion Sandboxed Environment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    straule
    Participant

Hi,

when integrating the Syphon framework with a sandboxed App (Syphon Server) on OSX Lion the distributed notifications used to announce the server to clients are blocked by the Sandbox:

*** attempt to post distributed notification ‘info.v002.Syphon.ServerAnnounce’ thwarted by sandboxing.

Any way around this to make Syphon work with the Sandbox?

Thanks,
    Heiko

bangnoise
    Keymaster

No, in short.

This is obviously something we plan to fix – but it will require a complete rethink of how we handle broadcast and discovery.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

This is tracked in issue 20.

straule
    Participant

Thanks a lot for opening this issue. Luckily Apple is still approving non-Sandboxed Apps – we’ve just got our OSX App AirBeam with integrated Syphon Server approved and published. But if they stick to their plans they will change this policy probably in June.

sigmasix
    Participant

I’m adding my stone to this problem.

Now non-sandboxed apps are not approved anymore.
    My app is finished and fully tested but I cannot send it to the app store and Syphon doesn’t work when the app is sandboxed.

I’d be glad to help you!

I assume if you rewrite the whole broadcast and discovery system it break the compatibility with older versions of Syphon clients?!

Does anyone have an experience in negotiating to have an app that is not sandboxed in the App Store? Do you think this miracle could happen?

Thanks a lot for this wonderful framework by the way.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

I’d be glad to help you!

Excellent!

I assume if you rewrite the whole broadcast and discovery system it break the compatibility with older versions of Syphon clients?

Yes, but I’m not too worried about that. We would still support the previous method for a transitory period so sharing between non-sandboxed apps wouldn’t be affected.

Does anyone have an experience in negotiating to have an app that is not sandboxed in the App Store? Do you think this miracle could happen?

I have never submitted an app to the App Store, so I’m no expert – but I understand this doesn’t happen at all now.

If you have some time, you could try profiling the performance loss with localhost networking to see what rate of messaging you can achieve, and what the latency is, compared to the current method. There is a project titled Messaging Test Rig in the implementations repo that might help. I can’t remember what state it’s in.

It would help if further discussion of this could happen on the issue ticket so we have it all for reference in one place.

sigmasix
    Participant

We finally released the software ourselves without using the AppStore so no sandboxing needed!

http://syphoner.sigma6.ch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.