syphon recorder

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User syphon recorder

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    bangnoise
    Keymaster

You should be able to duplicate the app in the Finder and run multiple instances. Hopefully your machine can keep up…

We’ll probably add the ability to have multiple recordings in a future version…

vargasz
    Participant

hi vade!
    so:
    yes it was played back in qt correctly
    i’ve fcp 7.0.3.
    final cut saw the whole movie, but if the frame rate was under 25(u know this vj shiet more fx and more everything) the video was warped and the original duration filled with black frames

i hope this time is understandable 😀

tsiwt
    Participant

“”non-realtime recording at full quality and no dropped frames”is not what Syphon Recorder is about. If that’s your aim, I’d flat-out suggest you try other methods.”

I like everything you guys have done with syphon its amazing!! and thanks for making it open! for me it is interesting how realtime software could be used for nonrealtime purposes I believe there is a lot of creativity and exploration to be done in this realm. the problem is that a lot of realtime software like jitter etc.. don’t have quality renderings making it very difficult to have a Professional looking product at the end of the day. I just want to say that although I understand why syphon recorder is not about non realtime recording… I would like to point out that if it was it could really open up new worlds where you could facilitate the use of realtime software for nonrealtime purposes.

but I understand that some things just require to much time. anyways props for syphon.

vade
    Keymaster

Just FYI, you can totally do broadcast quality rendering in Jitter, you just need to know how to patch so you save frames out non realtime, and drive your metro/qmetro/rendering at non realtime speeds, and ensure your timing/keyframes are working at non-realtime.

Totally doable.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

the problem is that a lot of realtime software like jitter etc.. don’t have quality renderings making it very difficult to have a Professional looking product at the end of the day… but I understand that some things just require to much time.

It’s not a matter of time – using Syphon for this sort of thing isn’t necessary – just about every environment lets you dump a still image out at whatever dimensions/resolution you want, and you can easily assemble a sequence of images into a movie. Lots of environments will let you output a movie directly.

If you’re absolutely determined to bring Syphon Recorder into the process, I would set up a patch where you draw a frame in Jitter or wherever, emit a midi signal and use MidiStroke to translate it to the key combo to capture a snapshot in Syphon Recorder, draw your next frame, repeat until you’re done.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

vade and I posted simultaneously as is our habit: twice the advice…

tsiwt
    Participant

thank you for the double advice, Ill spend some time working on it. I guess the problem is that not everything is as simple and user friendly as your work. But I guess thats life :). I am happy two learn you can render quality images out of jitter, I tried using the (render node patch ) and it wasn’t that great so this time Ill try bangnoise’s advice, and for QC I’ll look into buying quartz crystal.

thanks again

p.s I just saw that openemu and syphon can connect, fun.

AlexImix
    Participant

Hi there, first of all thank you for making Syphon it’s amazing tool! I have a question about recorder. I want to record output of Mad Mapper 1.1 to use the recorded video afterwards for permanent installation and just to play it in loop mode with some media player. In my setup I’m going to use Matrox dualHead 2 Go and Full HD source video for mapping, so recorded video should be 2048×768? Am I right?

vade
    Keymaster

Sounds reasonable. Ensure you have a decently fast disk to record at that size.

AlexImix
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I’ll share my experience when I got it done.

lookitscook
    Participant

Great work with syphon/syphon recorder, crazy useful. Working on integrating QC video recording into a kiosk app… commandline/applescript in current QC has been a pain thus far. Any thoughts on OSC? or better yet sharing/open-sourcing syphon recorder? Would be more than happy to push back any updates.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Yo and cheers lookitscook.

Usual advice for automation (see earlier in this thread): combine a MIDI signal with midiStroke ( http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/ ) to send command-option-r to start/stop recording.

We’re not going to open-source Recorder, but definitely up for making it work for all the different things people want to do with it – so if you find the above doesn’t work then tell us more about your neeeeeeedz.

lookitscook
    Participant

Thanks! I saw midiStroke earlier… bit clunky for a permanent install. Using applescript from QC to trigger the keystroke would be ideal, though I haven’t been able to get it to fire only once. Alternatively may just write the keypress logic into a cocoa wrapper (instead of simple using quartz builder). Will keep you posted if anything interesting comes of it.

lookitscook
    Participant

If anyone needs it, wrote a QC plugin to generate keystroke events. Download here: https://github.com/downloads/zebradog/QCKeyEventEmulator/KeyEventEmulator.plugin.zip

.. barely tested, lemme know if it breaks on you.

bangnoise
    Keymaster

Awesome! Looks good.

Kaian
    Participant

bangnoise, thanks for Syphon Recorder – it’s a great way to put a video stream into a ProRes file!

lookitscook, thanks for creating the QC plugin to generate keystrokes!

I’m using Quartz Composer and command-option-r is turning out to be an unreliable way to start and stop recording. I wish there were separate menu items for Start Record and Stop – then I could send multiple signals to make sure they’re getting through.

Really I wish I could have a QC plugin specifically for Syphon Recorder – I’d love to be able to determine inside the QC composition if recording is taking place or not, and to trigger more things to occur when recording stops. A little API for Syphon Recorder would be amazing, since it’s a useful tool and it would be great to be able to automate it.

In any case, I wanted to say thanks!

bangnoise
    Keymaster

HI yea we are vaguely considering some sort of automation for the future.

There is a period after ending a recording when you can’t start a new one (it takes a few moments to finish writing the movie file). It’s usually very short, but if you’re sending the stop/start immediately after each other then the start will be ignored.

I’ll think about a more useful way to handle this…

Kaian
    Participant

The other suggestion I have is putting in a way to choose which audio device to record from, right up front like the video input selector.

jersmi
    Participant

lookitscool’s Key Event Emulator seems to be a good solution. (Thank you!) MidiStroke was a bit buggy and clunky for me, and I’d much rather have something saved inside a QC patch.

(Maybe a small patch could be added to the QC Syphon Server plugin pkg?)

markegould
    Participant

Hi folks,

new to the Syphon world, a few basic questions so bear with me 🙂 I’ve gone through quite a few posts but not all and I’m quite happy to…

From the documentation and a few movies (I thought I recalled) “it appeared as simple” as having Syphon Recorder launched, along with VDMX, Resolume, Mac supported VJ app of your choice, which would then appear in Syphon recorder as source, and then you would be able to record.

Ah, perhaps not. At least so far with VDMX and Resolume, there’s nothing in the source pulldown of Syphon recorder. Perhaps not so simple. Is having the client, or the server running more likely what’s needed before this can work?

If I’m not clear, I want to be recording the output of these programs to supported codecs, to quicktime, to disk. If someone can point me to a URL, or suggest what’s necessary, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Mark

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.