Please Help Beginner record with Syphon

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User Please Help Beginner record with Syphon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    al
    Participant

Im really finding it difficult to get Syphon recorder to respond in any way. It’s just grey squares and the dropdown menus are not available. Im using Ableton 9 and Max 6 with Vizzable all 32 bit OS X Yosemite. It works up to syphout but no further. Its meant to be simple, so they say, but that just adds to the frustration.Getting a new appreciation for the people who keep it going. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

vade
    Keymaster

Step 1 – Ensure Simple Client and Simple Server work.

You can download them here. You can also test them with recorder.

https://github.com/Syphon/Simple/releases

Step 2 – Did you read the readme with Vizzable, are you required to install the Syphon plugin for Max 6? If so, did you do it?

Step 3 – How do you know it works up to Syphon out but no further? Can you please document your steps and check out: https://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

al
    Participant

Thank you for responding. Ok I think in step 1 the Simple Client and Simple Server work because they both have the spinning circle stars. When I open the syphon recorder with the Client and Server the Syphon recorder spins with the circle thing as well. Does that mean its working?

Step 2- So I read the readme files that come with Vizzable and you done have to install the plugins you just drag them from the file directory into the tracks.

Step 3- the reason i think that up to the Syphout is working is because my video is visible in the viewer window and in all the little preview windows on each device but when I look for other inputs in the Syphon recorder (with the test Simple Client and Simple Server running) from the dropdown menu, there is no other options. To Document my steps: without the test simple client and server. I just put a Vizzable clip viewer in an audio track and drop my video into a clip, then I drop a Vizzable viewer into a midi track and chose imput from clip viewer,then I put the Syphout plugin on the right of the Vizz plugin and it all seems fine so i open the Syphon recorder and its not functioning at all.

I read Mike Ash’ Getting answers. I picked up that coders use nsfilemanager to show in more detail whats going on but i couldn’t figure out how to see the code or copy and post it to a site. My head is still spinning ( : really appreciate the help Vade.

vade
    Keymaster

Does /Application/Utilities/Console.app show you anything?

Opening it up, clear it, and repeat your steps, then paste whatever you get new into a reply here.

I don’t use Vizzable, nor did we make Syphon out for it. You might be better off contacting whoever did make it.

Im 90+% sure you need to install the Syphon Plugin for Max so it works. If you don’t, the Max patch will still load, it just won’t ‘run’ the Syphon output, resulting in the behavior you are seeing.

vade
    Keymaster

Sorry I cant be more direct help!

al
    Participant

No U’ve been more than helpful. I really appreciate it! Its a process of elimination. Unfortunately I can’t show you console data ‘cuz theres a crazy Adobe error every second and ill have to uninstall the free Trial I’m using but its not expired yet. so i can only do that in 25 days. The Vizzable author says i don’t need to install syphon Its already baked in. I did try it though, no luck yet and it said i must make sure theres a jitter render to to jitter window path. but I’m not into max coding or patching just yet. so I’m gonna go shave off my beard and pic up my guitar for a change and tackle this beast again soon. Thanks Again for the support. it makes me feel much less frustrated.

vade
    Keymaster

Hm. Interesting. I’d ping folks on the Cycling 74 forum and see if you cant get more appropriate help. If the server and client work, then Syphon works. Definitely something on the Vizzable end.

What is it you are trying to do? You might be better off with other software?

al
    Participant

Ok Ill look into that. Im Just trying to record good quality and I’ve heard that Syphon is the best. But i will look around. Ableton has just released 9.2 and If I’m not mistaken Max 7 is included with the suit version so hopefully it will work with the new software. Thanks Again. When I get it right ill let u know.

vade
    Keymaster

Ah cool. Yeah honestly there shouldn’t be much complication to getting Syphon output working. Like I said, I don’t know or use Vizzable well besides my now slightly out of date Max knowledge – typically Syphon works – its really just on or off. There isn’t much more too it.

Unfortunately it sounds like theres a misconfiguration somewhere in Vizzable or what not. Good luck!

al
    Participant

Thank You ( :

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.