isadora and syphon

Home Forums Syphon Syphon Implementations – User isadora and syphon

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sandroid
    Participant

first of all, thanx a lot Vade and Tom for this smart and generous work.
    With the help from some folks at the Isadora Forum I managed to run a client and a server within Isadora. I’ve just needed to publish the client and server inputs and put them at the freeframe folder (at application Support).
    The FPS are a bit lower then expected: around 20 FPS. Simultaneously I had also a syphon client at Jitter running at around 60 FPS and the Quartz Server at 60 FPS.
    well, maybe this interests someone.
    best,
    sandroid

vade
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if Isadora has a completely GPU accelerated pipeline to be honest, which is one of the things that makes the Unity, Quartz Composer, FFGL and Jitter implementations so fast, everything stays on the GPU.

Thanks for the explanations though, glad it was somewhat working. Can you post a how to to get it up and running, and what is needed? Maybe someone can experiment and see if a faster method is possible.

Thanks again!

sandroid
    Participant

ops, sorry. I should have mentioned I used Isadora Core, which is able to read QC compositions if they have their inputs and outputs published.
    Anyway, it is very straight forward: I made a compostion with only the syphon server in QC, then I published its inputs. Following I named the server name as “Scene” and the Application as “Quartz Composer”in the macro inspector. The same procedure with syphon client.
    Then I saved then (server.qtz ; client.qtz) at the freeframe folder (it’s a predefined path for isadora to read) at the applications Support). Within IsadoraCore they are visible as “actors” : qc server and qc client. When placed in a patch, the actors can have their inputs edited.
    Well, I could post a example somewhere if its the case.

best,

sandroid

sandroid
    Participant

sorry again, I should have a coffee before posting…
    The process described above works for the syphon client. with the syphon server is even simpler. Just save a composition with only the server object in QC then place it at the freeframe folder as mentioned earlier.

sandroid

vade
    Keymaster

Sure, I have a beta of Isadora Core and have messed with it a bit. Because it can load Quarz Composer comps and Core Image units does not mean Isadora is using textures throughout the image processing pipeline. 20fps indicates to me not only is it not using textures all the time (or, in fact at all), its using less than adequate readback from GPU to CPU if even using the GPU for any intermediate processing.

Im not familiar enough with Isadora to make grand assumptions, but you should ask if Isadora uses the GPU throughout the image processing pipeline, and if not, what you should do in the patch to avoid any readback to the CPU.

sandroid
    Participant

I see. It makes sense. I will ask Mark/forum about it and give you a return.

thnx,

sandroid

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.